Friday, May 23, 2008

A couple more ideas...

My friend Michelle Griffith sent me this idea for Teacher Appreciation gifts. She used a beach towel, sunblock and an O Magazine for her teacher gifts last year, and packaged them up in a pail for presentation. Cute idea, huh?This year, she's going to try her hand at the bags that were made on Martha. You can check it out here. Totally adorable, huh? Not a difficult project for beginning sewers, either...
Thanks for the tips, Michelle!

And since Memorial Day is here, I wanted to share a recipe I throw together in a pinch all the time...

Strawberry Truffle


8 oz. cool whip

1 pound cake or angel food cake, cubed

1 prepared vanilla or lemon instant pudding

Strawberries

1/2 C. sugar


Mix strawberries with sugar, making a syrup.

Layer cubed cake, pudding, strawberries and cool whip. Repeat, and garnish with strawberries on top. Chill, and serve cold.

This one is another GREAT one from my Colombian friend, Sandra. It is best if it is made the night before and marinates overnight. MAN, totally worth the effort...It's a unique salsa filled with beans--and it is one of my favorites...

Sandra’s Bean Salsa

1 medium red bell pepper, chopped fine

1 medium green bell pepper, chopped fine

1./2½ cup fresh chopped cilantro

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed

1 can white hominy, drained and rinsed

1 8 oz. bottle Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing


Combine all ingredients into a large bowl. Stir well to coat all ingredients. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight is best). Serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish/salad.

Have a wonderful day!


10 comments:

helen davis said...

ok, love everything on your blog today. Love the gift idea, love strawberries and bean salsa. I will be trying out these recipes for the weekend. Yum!! Thanks for the ideas!

borcherding said...

YUMMY!! YUMMY! YUMMY!!!! Dear lord it's only 10am here and now I"m totally ready to eat lunch!! Thanks Trish! Have an AWESOME weekend! :-)

Kristin said...

Just signed up for Valerie's sketch class! Have a great long weekend!

Lan said...

Love reading your blog, you always have great ideas!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Love these ideas! The bucket and magazine is great and that dessert...yum!

Anonymous said...

Um... I don't want to be rude by pointing this out... but isn't it a TRIFLE if it's in a trifle dish? I'm sorry if I'm wrong!! TFS the recipe!! :)

Trish said...

Um, yes, it is a trifle! Thanks for the correction! I copied and pasted the whole thing and should have caught that one--thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the trifle recipe! I have a new trifle dish and will be making this for Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Just made the bean salsa for a cook out tomorrow, and will be making the Trifle in the morning... what would I have done had I not read your blog this weekend?? (I cheated and tasted the bean salsa while I was creating, and it's delish!) Thanks for the great recipes and awesome ideas, Trish!

LisaW said...

I just that teacher pressie! Going to file that one away for the end of the year - hope I remember - my son doesn't finish until December (Aussie summer) (lol).